Sunday, January 9, 2011

The long run

Today I ran 8 miles!

For a lot of you this is nothing.
For me it is the longest run I have done.

The weather was perfect: Overcast and cold enough to need gloves. 
Dear mother nature I would like that same kind of weather for my half marathon.
Thank you.
I did not run fast, I wanted to do the whole 8 miles and not cut it short like I did last week.
I used my belt for the first time.  It was OK, it did not bother me too much.  Still not sure if I will use it for the race, we will see, I got one more long run next week.
I tried GU for the first time also.  I waited until mile 7 because I wanted to be close to home in case it did not go well and I start cramping or having reflux.  I took less then half of the pack of Vanilla GU, one of the flavor they will give at the Half Marathon...Boy that is sweet!
I am not used to eating sweets anymore...I needed a lot of water after that and that lead to getting a stitch so not good.  Now I know I can take that GU  but just a small quantity.  This week I tried a GU Gel..that did not go down well for me so I will never use those again.

I did not take any chances and I iced my chins when I got home and did a lot of stretching.  Let's hope I am not in pain tomorrow!

I am really happy with my run today.
I ran 8 miles.
And here's the best part: I know I could have gone longer.

After that my friend took me out to the movies to celebrate my upcoming birthday.  We saw Black Swan.  Very intense.  Some parts are hard to watch.  Nathalie Portman is excellent in it, must have been a difficult experience to play that role.  If she does not get an Oscar nomination for this it will be a real shame.

8 comments:

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Great job, lady!!!!! Congratulations on nailing the 8 miles!

I've heard really, really good things about that movie. Sounds like something I would like.

XLMIC said...

That is AWESOME! 8 is a LOT to me, too! Way to go, Caroline! And super smart to test out the GUs. And the belt. You are getting so solidly prepped for your half!

I love going to the movies…thanks for the words on Black Swan…it's on my "want to see it" list.

middleagedrunner said...

8 miles is a TON. A ridiculously LONG run and anybody who says "oh, it was jussssst 8 miles" is a nut case! I'm super nervous about eating/consuming abnything while on the move because my belly has been known to violently reject things in a most disgusting manner. Sounds like I'll be staying away form the GU!
I want to see Black Swan quite a lot- it looks rather disturbing!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice long run

abbi said...

Great job on the long run. Doing a run that is your longest ever is such an amazing feel - awsome job!

Unknown said...

8 miles is great! I can't handle any other GU flavor but plain. Its not as sweet. Its the lowest in sugars. My gut will go overboard with the heavy flavored ones, haha. NOT PRETTY!
LC

Rae said...

Yay for 8 miles! Congrats!

Christine said...

Congrats on your farthest run EVER! That is a great accomplishment! :) I'm glad it worked out with the GU. I usually eat sport beans, because my stomach does not get along with any type of gels. Keep up the great work and you will rock the half marathon :)