Friday, November 26, 2010

The day after....and Special thank you

The day after Thanksgiving...on the plan is rest so I rested or so I thought...I lost my mind somewhere and went shopping...not in the middle of the night! But I still went...on THE DAY AFTER...why do I do that to myself?  This is NOT rest! I am exhausted and honestly I did not get a lot of gifts shopping done...but I did save some money so that is good!


So since I don't really have anything running related to report today...I wanted to write about something I am grateful for running related...


I talked in my very first post that I started running because one of my friend fought breast cancer and I wanted to do something to help.  My first race was the Susan G Komen race for the Cure in March 2010.  A few days after that,  Dara Torres one of the person I admire most ,  sent a message on twitter about a new book called Run Like a Mother.  She said it was great and that was enough for me.  That evening I went to the book store and was lucky to get the only copy they had (shame on them for that!!).  I started reading that book and it made me believe that little old me could actually become a runner...and I decided to sign up for my 2nd race: The Carlsbad 5k.  I read the whole book and then I found their website and their facebook page.  I found everything I needed there: advices and support.  I think it was after I had ran for 6th 5k that I asked my husband if he thought I could actually run a half marathon...his responses was not "Yes of course you can!"....I turned to the RLAM family and they could not have been MORE supportive!  I can honestly say that without all the great comments I got when I asked on the Facebook page about how one can know they are ready for a Half, I am not sure I would have signed up for the Carlsbad Half Marathon.  I don't know these people but they gave me the little push I needed and I am so grateful for that.  Now that I am in training for the big race and I don't really know what I am doing,  I have questions and that group has been so generous to me and plenty others in giving advices and sharing about their experiences as runners.  I am so very thankful to ALL of them.  If you know a mother  who runs;  this book is the perfect Christmas gift, I promise she will love it!  It is for all runners...beginners like me or BQ Marathoners!  It has great advices and lots of funny sections.  I highly recommend it!




So to Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea: Thank you for writing this book!!
 To everyone over the RALM Facebook group who answer my questions and give me advices and share their experience: Thank you I appreciate it so very much!
And then of course to Dara Torres because without her tweet I would have never found that book and who knows if I would still be hitting the pavement!

If the running mommy in your life already has this fantastic book I recommend this other fantastic book:



Who does not want abs like those right?


2 comments:

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

Just finished reading this. I'll be hosting a giveaway of this book =)

Dimity and Sarah said...

Caroline: you are such a sweet, sweet woman. So glad we got you moving; thanks for all your support and enthusiasm for the RLAM page and movement. Couldn't do it with out you. :) xo.