Thursday, November 11, 2010

Countdown to the first 10k

So today on the 10k plan was 2 miles and on the half marathon was 3 miles so I ran 2 miles and super slow ran 1 miles. Back is still very soar but somehow doest not hurt more while running...so there is hope!
Big 10k coming up, I wish I was 100% for it, does not look like I will be, I accept it, I just want to finish and run an intelligent race! It is my first 10k and I am using it as a test for using the walk breaks during a race.  I know I will have to do it for the half and so I will test it on Sunday.  I need to find a good combo run/walk for me...and not be ashamed of actually walking during the race...forget about everybody looking and just do MY race!
My plan is to follow J. Galloway's advices and take breaks BEFORE I get tired.  Based on his method for 9 min pace I should run 4 min/walk 1 min.  I have trained with 5 min/ 1 min so we will see how that feels with the bad back!
One more easy workout tomorrow and rest Saturday and then 10k race! Hoping for cool temperatures!!

2 comments:

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

5:1 ratio of Galloway is the best one for me. I tried 2(kms):1(min) for my half marathon, I felt tired. I PRed though. LOL! Excited for your 10K! =)

Caroline said...

you use the ratio in distance for the running part or in time?
5:1 is it 5 minutes or 5 miles or 5k?
Being Canadian I used to calculate everything in km but now I am used to the american way so I go with miles...for the ratio I use time like he has on his website. For you half did you take the walk breaks right at the start like he says to do?