Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fathers

First the running portion.
Went for 7 miles this morning.  It was slow but OK.  I realized I had not rest since I have been back from Quebec.  10 days of running  without rest.  Not good and a bit stupid.  I am not young and today my knee was not the happiest.  So tomorrow will be rest day.

This ends week 1 of Disney Half marathon training.

WEEK 1
Mon: 4 miles
Tue: 3 miles
Wed: 4 miles
Thu: 5 miles (10x 400 )
Fri: 3 miles tempo
Sat: 7 miles
Sun: rest
Total: 26 miles
-------------------

Happy Fathers Day to all of you who are dads and are reading this!

In my life there are 2 men who are important dads.  My dad and Bill, my husband.

We don't choose our dads.  I think I totally luck out in the dad department.
My dad is great and interesting man.  He will be 78 in August.  He is still very active.  He has a garden and grows all kind of fruits and vegetables and he still drives my mom nuts after 43 years of marriage!  He was born in Hungary and he left his country in 1956 during the revolution.  He went to Belgium first and did his Bachelors degree at Louvain la Neuve and that is where he learn to speak French.  He already spoke Hungarian, Russian and German.  He arrived in Quebec in the mid sixties and he did his Master degree and his PhD at Laval University where I also went to school many years later.  He married my mom in 1968 and they had me a year later and my brother Martin 16 mos after I was born (yep he is the youngest one).  I am just like my dad.  I look like him.  I have the same personality, the good and the bad.  All my life people have told me "You are just like your dad!" and all my life I thought this was a HUGE compliment.  He is a fantastic father and a wonderful grandfather and I love him very much! So here's my Dad: Joyeuse Fête des Pères!

I was 3

Me, my dad and my grand mother (his mom)

With my niece

With Will

Then there is Bill the father of my kids.  We DO pick our spouses but unless they are already a parent it is hard to know for sure that they will be great.  I mean I had an idea of course but still you can only know when it happens.  Well he is great.  He is PRESENT.  He does not think that hanging out with his kids is babysitting.  I hate when parents say that they are babysitting when the kids they are with are their OWN.  He does not try to find any excuses to "escape" the house like most his friends do.  He is a great role model for our sons.   He works hard and ridiculously long hours and because of that our kids get to have one of us at home to take care of them.  Here's Bill: Happy Fathers Day!

With Will

With Jonathan






This one taken today!!


9 comments:

Jill said...

LOVE it!!! Serioulsy! Happy Father's Day to all the loved men in your life! :)

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wonderful tribute to both your husband and your father Caroline!!

Kate Geisen said...

How wonderful. Love this post! Your dad sounds like a really neat man, and your husband sounds like just the kind of guy you want sharing your kids with you. Love the pictures!

XLMIC said...

Wow! You lucked out with both of those guys! They look so nice and so fun and so happy…best things for a dad to be (in my opinion!). I hope they are enjoying a very special Fathers Day!

Michael said...

Enjoy your much needed and deserved "rest" day! Love all the pics of your Dad and husband...wonderful! Happy Father's Day to them!

Tricia said...

so sweet

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice tribute!!

Darlene said...

Wow - 10 days in a row - I couldn't do that. I only run 3-4x per week. I are on a similiar falf schedule - I have my 3rd on Sept 25 and 4th on Nov 6 and maybe my 5th on Feb 5.

Coy Martinez said...

Ahhh, those are beautiful pics! You're right, it's great to have good dad's in the world. Not everyone is so lucky!