Friday, December 3, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

I don't have a fuel belt or bottle.   I never carry water with me on my runs.  I have yet to go long enough to need fuel while I am out.  Now as I move down the weeks on my training plan the miles increase (shocker I know!) so I will need to have a solution for fuel for the long runs.  Since I am a total novice I don't know what to get.  I will need one of these:


I think I belt would get on my nerves and carrying a bottle does not sound good either..I am afraid I would get cramps in my hands or something.  At the half marathon they will have water station at each mile (big race 10000 runners) and GU at mile 4 and 9.  GU,  that is another thing I need to figure out.  I have never tried it and I have major gastric issues so I am afraid of trying it and getting sick.  I know I have to try BEFORE the race.  They are giving 2 flavors:  Chocolate Outrage and Vanilla Bean..I already know I cannot take the chocolate one so that leaves Vanilla.  If my stomach does not like that one I will have to carry my own.  I could use safety pins and pin it to my shorts at the waist and not carry any bottle or belt.  Is that a good decision? Will I regret not carrying my own water?  Even if I decide not to on race day I still need something for the long runs starting next weekend...

What to do, what to do?  I am open to all advices and suggestions if you are reading this and have something to say please do, it will help a novice runner like me!!!

Today was rest day so that is what I did.  Still not sure about tomorrow..I think cross training is what I will do...

Sunday = 5k race day!

3 comments:

Hungry Like a Hippo said...

I have a belt for my phone(gps/mp3 player) and keys and possibly gus one day. I don't carry water. I either plant an unopened bottle of water along my path before I start running or I plan my route around a public water fountain/my car/my apartment so I can stop for water breaks.

abbi said...

I have a belt and like it. I've tried the handhelds and don't like those but it's really personal preference - some people are the opposite. As far as GU, I can't do ANY type of gels - it took me a couple of long runs to figure that out. I can do GU Chomps or Shot Bloks - but again, very much personal preference and experimenting is the best way to figure it out!

Caroline said...

thank you.
just went to REI and I am sure I cannot do the handheld..so it will be a belt. I tried both and the one with 2 bottles feel better so that will go on my Christmas list!!