Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mission Inn 10K Race Recap

Sunday I ran the Mission Inn 10K for the third year in a row.
I was not supposed to do it this year but because I have to skip Big Sur, I decided to sign up at the last minute.  They did not have an increase in the price for late registration, that is a plus when doing local races!

This is course is hard.  It is hilly. 
The start of the 10K is at 8:30 am so no need to get up too early.
The weather was PERFECT.  48F at the start, the sun was out, no crazy wind.

I did not check the time really well before the start and I was kind of caught by surprise when the announcer said "Are you ready?".  He had not said a word before that and THAT was the start.... "GO"!   My bad for not checking what time it was :)



I started too fast...but I was OK with the idea of doing that knowing the worst hill is in the last mile.  That did cause me some trouble with my breathing..I just could not get to a comfortable place...I felt out of breath for the first 3 miles or so.  I ended up with the same pain as a sideache pain but in the collarbone.  Have you had that before?  It hurts.  I had it before.  I don't know how to get rid of it other than slowing down... What do you do if you have that?

Because of all the stress I feel for the last several weeks I have a relapse with my GI problems and I have gastritis again.  It is now to the point where I have to sleep sitting up and I feel the pain almost all the time and I eat less and less.  And....of course the medicine I take for this is now NOT COVERED by the very $$$$$ private insurance we had to get until Bill finds a job.  This sucks big time. So frustrating....

I also lost my Garmin...the strap broke...and it became too loose..of course I went back a few steps to get it...  Those darn bracelets don't last a long time and are way too big! This will be the third time I replace it.

So I had a couple issues...but that is no excuse...I did not do bad or great.  Just OK.
I do like this race even if it is hard.  I don't think I would ever PR on that course so that was not a goal I had for this one.  To get a new PR for the 10K I would need to be serious about speed work and I am not.  Since coming back from my injury I have just focused on mileage really because my goal race was Big Sur Half Marathon.

Mile 3 the boys were there and this time they saw me!!! Not like at the last race :)
Here that's Jonathan taking a picture of me with his leap pad :)


and Will ran to give me a high five! and almost hit another runner putting his hand out..ooopsy....


Here after the last turn before the finish line.


Here one thing that went well...I had a good strong finish.  No puking and no jogging..!


The boys wanted to have a picture with these guys who flew by me at mile 3!





 Beautiful statue of MLK:






16 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a fantastic race. And great pictures!

Kate Geisen said...

Yea for no puking!!

Looks like a beautiful day. :)

Boston Bound Brunette said...

I have only ran Mission Inn 10K once and it was not an easy course. I felt like every time I turned a corner I was running up another hill! I am glad you ran it and enjoyed your run without getting sick.

Sorry to hear about the darn costs of health care. It is horrible that we have to pay so much in the US. Hopefully Bill will get that new job soon and you will have cheaper coverage again.

Bummer about your Garmin especially during a race!

macnic said...

Sounds like a great race! I love that your family always comes out to support you AND take photos. I also LOVE those arm sleeves. What kind are they?

Caroline said...

arm warmers: tough chicks..made for NUUN Hood to Coast team 2012

Terzah said...

I'm so sorry the stress has been getting to you--hopefully the race was a breath of fresh air. You look great as always!

J. L. said...

Love the arm warmers. I often (50% of the time) get a collarbone ache. I attribute it to clenching my fists, or holding my posture wrong. But honestly, have no idea why. Just made me smile when I read that you did..."someone has something the same as me." Good luck with the job hunting and stress. I was there last year with my hubby. Ours was a very long 6 months. One, losing his job was stressful. Two, he was home more to point out all the things I did wrong! Ha, ha!

BLESS YOUR HEART said...

Awesome!! I love the 2nd to last photo with the boys! So cute! Erica

Raina said...

You look great, Caroline! Love the pics!!

Bummer about the garmin. That is too bad. And the insurance too- we have none (self employed).

Great finish!

Teamarcia said...

Congrats Caroline! Hooray for a strong, non-puke finish!

Lauren said...

Sorry you had a tough race BUT so glad to hear you didn't puke. Little victories, right? :)

I think it's so wonderful that your kids come cheer for you during races and seem so excited for you. Your family seems so supportive...I love it.

Congrats on the 10K! Running a tough course is always an accomplishment, no matter what time you end up with in the end!

Denise said...

I love that your family goes with you to every race. I can't wait to have that some day!

The Mission Inn was my first half back in 2010. The wind was terrible and the course gets super boring for miles and miles out on the trail above the wash and I just haven't had the desire to go back. I heard they had trouble with the half distance last year and I know the 10k was misrouted the year I did the half. I do like supporting local races though, so one of these years that I don't have a conflict I'll try it again.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Great job! I always start too fast in 10K's too. Plus, I'm really morphing into a chick 'cause I'm really into arm warmers right now. But mine are black. You can keep the rainbow ones. That still makes me manly ... right?

TR said...

Congrats on the race!!

Anne said...

Ah non...j'ai beaucoup d'empathie par rapport à ta santé. J'espère que ça s'améliore un peu quand même.

Bravo pour ce 10km, avec une belle finale en force, malgré les quelques embuches! T'es une femme forte Caroline...tu m'inspires!

Elizabeth said...

love your boys :) they seem too sweet. congrats the race, and especially not puking!!