Friday, April 1, 2011

JOG-O-THON

Today rest day.
Yesterday I had  speedwork: 8x400 intervals on the treadmill at 5k pace.  Again I went for faster pace then that.  First 4 at 9:13 and last 4 at 9:05. 

Tomorrow I have a 10k race in Seal Beach.  I hope to break 1:00.  I am close.  If it is not too hot, it is possible.  Today it was 90.  I HATE the heat.  I get really bad congestion and also numbness in toes and fingers. Very annoying.

On my last post I talked about Canadian runners and a scandal at the 1980 Boston Marathon.  A couple people mentioned Terry Fox.  To me he is in a class of his own, not just runner but a National Hero.  The other runners mentioned in my post were competitive runners so that is why I did not include Terry Fox in that story. 

Today my son Will had a JOG-O-THON at his school.  He was so excited to be THE ONE running this time.  They needed parents to come help and count the laps so of course I went!  He wanted to do well, I could tell.  When they were lining up I heard him tell one girl from his class "You know my mom she runs half marathons, THAT IS A LOT OF LAPS!!" Ha  Ha! So cute!!  It was hot for running, these poor kids turned purple after one lap!  They had 20 minutes to run and the laps were around the baseball field.    Some kids were just walking and looking at the butterflies and others meant serious business!   Will is in a combo class 1-2 grade and he was the only 1st grade boy to do the run.  He finished 3rd overall with 8 laps.  Best one had 10.  I was very proud of him!   He loved it! 


Before running!

The start: see the little guy in the blue hat, that is Jonathan trying to get in the action!!!



Good arm action!!!

These 2 pics make me laugh, the 2 boys in front of Will are 2nd graders and Will wanted to pass them so bad.  He ended up passing them twice!




After the run, back inside with cool AC running!!!

20 comments:

Katie said...

That is too cute!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

YAY WILL!!!!!

Good luck on the 10K! :)

Michael said...

Way to go Will!! That's awesome! Good luck on the 10K - I bet you will be under an hour!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Congrats to will! And good luck to you on your 10k. I am going to jump in one this weekend too! Excited!

Unknown said...

Way to go, Will! Best of luck on breaking that 1:00 in your 10k. You can do it!

Kristin @NyceLife said...

Good luck tomorrow!!

XLMIC said...

Ack! I hate it when this happens to me! Something is up with my computer and all the text is wonky! But the pics are awesome and the captions I can read! I remember HATING the jogathon when I was a kid :P

Jim ... 50after40 said...

'at a boy Will!!! Great job sir! Wonderful running form! Congrats!

middleagedrunner said...

Good luck with your run! Your kid is destined for the Olympics- he looks like a speedy little bugger!

Unknown said...

C'mon back to Canada for a bit.... you'll remember how awful the cold and snow is :-) Although, it may be refreshing.

I am not a fan of the heat myself!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Awesome job Will!!!

Everyone wants to pass the bigger 2nd graders! I do the same thing, pick out people I really want to beat or pass during my races; it keeps things fun.

Christine said...

Awww so cute!! You are his inspiration :)

Emz said...

Those photos are soooo excellent.

Yay on the speedwork!

Rock the race today!!
Go Butler! ;)

Nelly said...

Jog a thons are awesome! I remember my elementary school always used to have a walk-a-thon to raise money, I remember walking for like the whole day every year - I need to ask my parents how far we would go, but I think we would walk like 20 miles or something, haha

Nelly said...

and good luck in your 10K!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Great job Will!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

How did it go today?????

Love the pics of your son--that's wonderful being active is promoted via a jog-o-thon!!

Jill said...

Way to go, Will!!! He's going to be following in his momma's footsteps soon!!! :)

Hope your race went well today, will look for the report soon!!!

Unknown said...

How cute! Congrats to Will! He did awesome!

Hope the 10k went well!

Jenn said...

Love the little sweaty headed boy! Congrats to Will!!!! What a fun activity! Hope you rocked that 10K. C'mon with the race report already-ha!!