Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jelly Bean Race, Long run, Easter and Elephant!

Happy Easter everyone!
This was a busy weekend!  Yesterday no running, I decided to rest before my 12 miles and see if this will help.  So we had the usual Saturday Soccer game.  Will had 2 great chances to score but unfortunately he was the only yellow guy against 3-4 red so no goal.



Today I went for a 12 miles run.  This was my last long run before the half marathon.  In one week at this time it will all be done!  I got up early so that I could come back for the Easter egg hunt.  It was pretty cool outside, maybe 12 Celsius.  3 miles into my run: RAIN!  Crap.  This was not good, cold rain and of course some wind.  I wished I had gloves.  At around mile 6 I realized that I forgot to hit start on my GARMIN at the last stop light maybe 1.5 miles or so ago.  Crap again.  Good thing I had map my run and I knew how far I needed to go before turning around: 15 fwy;  easy to remember.   The rain was getting worst and  I was completely soaked, my shoes were super heavy.  At least I did not feel as bad as last week.  The worst part was my hands,  they went numb because it was so cold.   I did not walk like last week, only to take my water out for a few sips and that's it.  I had a liquid shot with me, I took some at mile 5 even though I was not feeling the need for it, I thought better to take it BEFORE I need it.  It went down OK, but next few sips did not.  I almost got sick.  First time this happens with this fuel. :(   I got home and the kids had painted some eggs!


I signed up for Jess Jelly Bean virtual Race and I used the first 10k of today's run for that!  (Do you see Maggie sneaking in the back?)  Thank you Jess!

I was soooooo cooooold it was still raining when Bill took that picture.

I took an ice bath, that was no fun.  I was already pretty cold.  To put my poor hands in the water was almost impossible.  I lasted 10 minutes and then took a hot shower.  My stomach was not happy, pretty bad nausea. 

Because of the rain, I had to hide the eggs inside the house for the boys.  They were still happy to go look for them and get some surprises!


While I was out running they went to the store and got me flowers and 2 bags of ice!!!

After all this, we headed to the movies.  We did not have any family plans, mine is all in Quebec and Bill's is...sadly I don't have a nice word to describe them...
I went to see Water for Elephants with one of my dear friend who is going through a hard time and Bill and the boys went to see RIO!  Boys loved it and Bill said it was a good nap!!!
Water for Elephants: it was good.  I did like it.  It is not as good as the book and they changed and skipped parts.   If you read the book, the guy who plays August was perfect.  I got to say that the Rob Twilight dude...he was very good as well and he is not ugly.  I recommend the movie.

17 comments:

XLMIC said...

So glad to get a review on Water for Elephants… I really enjoyed the book and want to see the film. Yay for doing that 12!!! Awesome! I think I will check out this virtual jelly bean deal…I'm running about 6 tonight :)

Your boys are just a joy to see in your pics! Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

burrr!! you poor thing. thats a cold rainy run, but you are super strong and brave for doing it. Love the easter egg hunts. Now go grab some hot cocoa!

Christine said...

Good job on your long run. I'm amazed you still got an ice bath afterwards :)

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

Way to go on your run! Sorry to hear your fuel did not treat you well today :( bummer! I just started reading Water for Elephants now and am looking forward to finishing it/seeing the movie!

Julie said...

Yuck on the cold rain!!! My run Jelly bean run was cool but dry thank goodness! What cute, cute little boys!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Brrrrrr!!!! But isn't being cold better than being hot?

I'll have to let my mom know what you said about Water for Elephants. She mentioned yesterday that she wants to see that.

Unknown said...

So sorry that your 12 was so rough. But, your boys are so sweet, flower and ice? How perfect!

I'm just finishing listening to Water for Elephants on CD. I didn't think I would like the book, but am loving it. Thanks for your movie recommendation. Movies seem to never to books justice!

Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

Nice run...Brrr...love a nice ice bath! Sounds like a great day!

Michael said...

Thanks for the movie reveiw. I really want to see that movie, but I just don't know when I'll have time. Maybe I will pick up the book and wait for DVD. You and I did about the same thing this weekend - I did 11 miles before my half next weekend and counted the first 6.2 for my Jelly Bean.

Laura said...

I have totally been sucking it up after a long run -even if it is cold and doing an ice bath...it helps just not fun at all....
Fun Easter weekend!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope you had a great Easter

Jill said...

Awk, sorry you were nauseous, hope that doesn't continue! I saw Water for Elephants, too...I liked it (but had not read the book) - I was so thankful it ended as it did, I was worried for a few minutes...

Kate Geisen said...

Way to stick out that run in the rain. As I watch the forecast for next Sunday (my marathon), all I see is rain, rain, rain and 50 degree high. Ugh. No idea what to wear for that.

Caroline said...

Kate: I would wear same what I am wearing on the picture and gloves. Sunday for my half that is what I will do.

Caroline said...

@ Jill: read the book!!! ending is actually something they did change a bit.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

what great pics Caroline and a fab day! Good job on yoru Jelly Bean virtual--I celebrated by eating...jelly beans!

The trailor for Water for elephants looks good--I did enjoy the book!

Unknown said...

Brrrrrr - sounds like it was chilly, especially with that rain. Way to fight through it.

Cute pictures of the family.

And that's funny that you didn't have anything nice to say about Bill's family. I'm with you with my husband's family. And if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! :)