Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The F word.

Yesterday I ran 4 miles (instead of 3 ) with incline on the treadmill.  There was this guy next to me who kept looking over at the screen of my treadmill.  After a couple of miles I thought he was a bit creepy and annoying so I covered it.  Once I was done I went to say hello to one of my buddy and treadmill guy comes over and says "Excuse me Miss just want to say thank you for the pace and keeping me on the treadmill!!!"  That was a first for me for sure!!!

Today 5 miles outside, bloody toes, not so good.  Tomorrow must tape those again for speedwork.  Last 10x400 before my Half Marathon!

So Will, my 6 yrs old son who is on 1st grade, comes home yesterday and says: "Mom I got a story to tell you but I don't know if I can tell you because it has the F word in it."  Me : "Say that again?" and I am thinking ALREADY?? Ah crap.  So I told him to go ahead tell me and he will not be in trouble.  He said "Well do you know who Brianna is in my class?" Yes I do. "Well Andrew called her a FAT girl today at recess!!!"  I was kind of still waiting for the other F word but no,  that was it: FAT!  Now I know it is not OK that kids call each other names like Fat but I have to say I was a bit relieved it was not THE F word or the one that Kobe-I-am- an-idiot-Bryant used last week.  Fat is easier to deal with.  So Will says to me "I know it is not nice to say that but she is kind of chubby and I think she should run like you and eat less fruit snacks!"   Smart boy.

_________________

RIP Grete Waitz
Winner of 9 NYC Marathons
Silver medalist in 1984 LA Olympic Games


15 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Too funny about gym guy. I admit, I'm always trying to surreptitiously peek at the treadmill display of the person I'm next to. Not because I'm competitive, just because I'm curious.

Love your "F" word story. :) In our house, we say that "fair" is the F word...I got so sick of hearing three boys complain, "That's not FAIR!!"

NPR had a segment about Grete Waitz last night on the news. She sounded like a neat lady as well as a heck of an athlete.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

hahahaha!! Good story. Fat is is totally an effer!!

Nelly said...

Hilarious treadmill story, haha I'm with Kate, I usually am just curious as to what speed other people are running, so I try to figure it out based on looking at their treadmill belt speed versus mine =) I guess it's one game I like to play in the gym.

About your bloody toes, do you know what its from? Could it be your shoes are too small maybe and are hitting the toe box constantly? I've lost 2 toe nails during marathon training, but I've never had bloody toenails before. And how are the endurolye salt tablets working out? How often do you find you take them for them to help?

I had no idea who Grete Waitz was, but just from the stories I've been reading she sounded insanely talented.

Tricia said...

love the gym guy story

Christine said...

Your little man is too cute!! :)

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

LOL @ the F word story. That's SO funny!

Michael said...

Love the story, and that Will thought Fat was a bad word....it should be. What a great kid! But also great that he understands health and fitness. The toes sound painful....feel better!

Jill said...

Oh my, I bet your pulse was beating waiting for that F word! Just gotta love some of the things they say!

Chris K said...

Look at the Canadian speed demon providing treadmill inspiration. I checked out the course for OC, should be a good one.

XLMIC said...

Hilarious story about the F word! My kids are like that... the S word is 'stupid' and sometimes 'shut up' ;-)

Awesome about being so inspiring at the gym :) Wishing you well with your 10x400 and the half! And thanks for all the fun comments you've been leaving lately... I really appreciate them :)

runnergirl training said...

Great stories! lol

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That is funny about the gym guy

I was holding my breath reading the f word part, phew, like you, it still isnt good, but better then other ones.

Gaspegirl said...

That is too cute! Aren't children the cutest!!

Make it a great day!

Andrew Opala said...

actually, that "f" word IS worse than the other "f" word that I was thinking of ...

Unknown said...

Kids say the darnedest things!