Sunday, April 3, 2011

10k RACE REPORT

Yesterday I ran the Seal Beach 10k.

So this was going to be a crazy busy weekend.  10k race and then drive to San Diego to meet with my best friend from Quebec who was there for a Medical convention.  I got up at 4:45 am Saturday, had breakfast and got ready.  We had to be out of the house by 5:50 am.  I had to pick up my bib before 7:30 am.  When we got there the streets leading to the start were closed so Bill just dropped me as close as he could go and I went to get my stuff alone. 
There were 5800 runners there for the 5 and 10k races.  When I got my bib and chip I asked if I could get the T-shirt after the race because I did not want to wear it (or carry it) and they said sure no problem (liars).

Next stop: the lovely porta potty. TWICE.
I was amazed at the amount of people who never saw the huge lines  and just went for it, cutting in front of everyone! 

Now to the crazy part. The startWHAT A JOKE.  They had the 5 and the 10k starting at the same time.  The had 3 waves.  That was also a joke.  I went in the second one and I knew a lot of people around me should be in the back.  The guy next to me had a stop watch around his neck!  People with strollers in the first wave, lots of people with dogs also in the front.  That made for a crazy crowded start.  It took me at least a mile to get out of the jam.  I passed WALKERS in the first mile.  They were supposed to start 10 minutes after the runners!!!   Because I was trying to pass all the people, I ran faster then I should have and kept that pace for 3 miles.  I was happy with that and feeling pretty good and I thought I had a good chance of breaking the 1:00. 

At mile 4 I had unwanted company: the freaking wind...arrrrgh...it was bad.  I lost my balance twice.  Mile 4.5: MAJOR SIDE PAIN.  I tried to change my breathing, nothing was working and it just got worst and worst.  I was very painful.  I did not want to walk.  I kept telling myself "slow jogging is faster then walking".  It took almost 1 mile to get better, it never went away.  Mile 4 was my slowest of the 6. :(
At mile 5, my hands started feeling strange, like swollen.  I had that during my half marathon.  Anyone else had that before?  What do you do? 
I finished strong for the last 1.2 mile, I saw the boys right before crossing the finish line and that gave me the push to sprint to the end.

Sprint = DRY HEAVES.  One woman was freaking out when she saw me like that.  She thought I would throw up on her.

Even with a strong finish I did not break the 1:00.   The wind and the Side Pain were my enemies.  It is OK.  I will do it in Quebec!


ALL THESE PEOPLE ON THE RIGHT WERE FROM THE 5K
They started at the same time as the 10k, passing them was good for my ego :)


I need to get some muscles on my arms.
That is what happens when one looses 70 lbs, not pretty.

19 comments:

RoseRunner said...

Those arms look like they're 100% muscle! What are you talking about!

I can't stand the crowdedness aspect of races. I'm bummed that the marathon I am running in May starts with the half-marathoners....just makes for a huge crowd and a bunch of people in the wrong corral.

Unknown said...

I agree with Rose, your arms look awesome!

Bummer that the race was so crowded. Great job!!

Kate Geisen said...

I think your arms look great! Definitely sounds like they could've been a lot better organized at the start. Passing people is nice, but the energy to get around them isn't so great. Way to fight through the side pain and that nasty wind.

Nelly said...

Sounds like a very eventful day! That is too bad about the start congestion, it is tough in big races like that that are over shorter distances.

Sounds like overall it went well though!

That is a bummer about the dry heaves again, I'm not sure what to suggest about that. Maybe try eating gels during runs to get your stomach more used to running with fuel? Maybe a doctor might have suggestions, because I've never really thrown up or dry heaved after a race.

And I think your arms are fine - most runners (me included) don't have much bulk up there, since we concentrate so much on our legs. Great pics too!

Christine said...

Good job on your race! Great pictures, you look so strong!!

Anne said...

You look beautiful and strong! Congrats on a good job, especially considering the mess at the beginning. I hate it when people think they are more important than others and cut in line, very disrespectful. C'est pas quelque chose qu'on voit beaucoup par chez nous ;)

Shawn said...

Good Job....number 1 priority is to finish!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race and the Pukie

Anonymous said...

Great job! Sounds like a crazy race day... sorry about the dry heaves!!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Your arms look better than mine!

My hands swell, too, when I'm running. It always helps me to shake them out. And, even though it makes me look absolutely retarded, sometimes I'll hold them above my head for a minute or so while I run.

middleagedrunner said...

My hands swell in the heat- I completely agree with saking them and elevating them. Yes, you'll look like a freak but who cares!
Too bad about the unorganized race and the need to hit the Code-V button again. MAN! I had some tough stomach issues after my race yesterday so I feel your pain.

middleagedrunner said...

Umm. That would be SHAKING. wow- hello Monday!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Are you kidding?--you look great! Way to battle our most hated element: wind!

Darlene said...

You looked great in the photos!!

Unknown said...

You look strong... way to get it done!

Amanda@runninghood said...

You look great and you are GREAT! So awesome that you keep looking forward and setting goals for yourself Caroline! You'll do it in Quebec! Crazy that they started the 5k and 10k together. Thank you for your awesome and sweet comment on my blog today!

RockStarTri said...

There are certain races that I won't run due to the crowds. One time, in a race, it started to rain. Some of the "runners" reached into their bags (yes, bags) and pulled out umbrellas.

You are ready for PRing. Remember, they are like potato chips in that you can't have just one!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Congrats!! It really is frustrating when you have to spend the start of a race just placing yourself where you should have been anyways, ahead of all these slow pokes!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I could be wrong, but this is my initial thought. The swelling feeling in your hands could be blood collecting in your extremities. It's much more common in your feet, but try lifting your hands above your shoulders (allow the blood to drain).

Other than that, it may just be overheating. My hands do that when they get too warm; I'll grab an extra water cup and just pour it on my hands during the race in that case.