Sunday, March 25, 2012

Los Angeles Susan G Komen Race for the Cure

The Susan G Komen Race for the Cure is a special race for me not just because I run it in honor of people in my life that are fighting breast cancer but also because this is the race that started my running life. 

Back in March 2010, I went to the Dodger Stadium to run this 5K.  I was not prepared, I had the wrong clothes, the wrong shoes,  I could not run 3 miles without stopping.  I did this for Shana, my brave friend, who was at the beginning of her battle.  This was us March 6, 2010.

Look how tired I look!  I remember the next day I could barely walk!!!  Everything changed that day.  I did not stop running.

Yesterday I ran my 3rd Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.   Shana was there for the 3rd year also, this time CANCER FREE.  She WON.  There is HOPE.  This is a good thing to know...there is HOPE.

The race:
It is at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.  Dodger Stadium is located in a pretty hilly part of town.  The course had been the same in 2010 and 2011 and I did not see any announcement regarding a change for the course so I prepared for the same course with a decent hill for the first mile and mostly flat for the rest of the course.
I met my team before the start, on my team was my sister in law who was running her first 5K, my babysitter Rebekah who is pregnant, Shana of course and other friends.  Rebekah was my TOP recruiter this year!

I wore a bib on my back in honor of our dear friend Jane who is married to Bill's best friend. I hope next year she will be there with us.

I lined up with 2 of the young gals on my team who said they wanted to run this and try to stay with me.  They had 2 lanes at the start, one for the runners and one for the walkers.  There's more walkers than runners at that race so the start can be crazy with some people who are not lining up where they should but that's OK.  And we were off!



And that is right where I lost the 2 young gals who wanted to stay with me.....oopsy.  I am sure if they keep at it,  next year they will be the ones loosing me at mile 1.  :)

So it did not take long to realize that this was NOT the same course as the last 2 years.  Instead of running in the parking lot we actually went out to the park near by.  And that course was hard.  The HILLS that keep on coming.  It was just hills.  It was nice to not run in a parking lot.  I think that the old course was extremely boring.  That course is a challenge, there's the hills and also the road was pretty beat up and I had to look where I'd step.  I was really concerned about falling again. 



Oh look KIM,  I am wearing a skirt!   There won't be a 2nd time sadly.  It's a size medium and it  needs a drawstring.  It is too big at the waist and it moves and it was really annoying.
So no PR on this crazy course but that is OK. 



I am happy I did it again. 
Lot's of pink at that race! Look at these guys! Pretty Awesome!! Behind them is Rebekah sprinting to the finish (right behind the gal in the sunglasses).


And than there is this guy who is at ALL the local 5K races.  Look to the left...do you see him


NOW do you see him?


He is always not dressed like that.  Same shorts.  They look like they have NEVER been washed.  I think I should start a charity to get this guy a SHIRT.  Look at the other guys on the picture...it was NOT HOT yesterday!

To recover from this race I went for a 10 miles run this morning..it went better than last week, less pain in the knees.
:)

Dont forget my GIVEAWAY here!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your race - it's nice to revisit the race that started it all.

By the way, you look amazing!

giraffy said...

I saw that guy at holiday half 5k too!!!! He really, REALLY needs to be wearing a shirt.

I love running in skirts. Sounds like your skirt was too big ;)

Terzah said...

What is it with these California dudes who run with no shirts on when they really really shouldn't be? Yuck!!

Congrats on the race. I hope your friend can join you next year.

Cotter Crunch said...

cancer free!! thats awesome. and you don't look tired, you look happy.
:-)

Kathy said...

A big shout out for your friend, Shana!!!
Love the pics, you look great.
That's one fuzzy, mostly naked runner! Yes, someone PLEASE get him a shirt!

XLMIC said...

Running to fight cancer is always a win :)

you look like such a RUNNER, Caroline! And a 10-mile recovery run...you are an animal!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Great run! I love that you recruit so many people for this special race each year!

brg said...

dang! i wish i could "un-see" that last pic! So awesome you doing this for a friend and that she WON!

Jill said...

You look absolutely adorable in that pink top - my favorite color!! And the skirt is a nice touch! :)

Congrats on a great race, girl. Always fun to run the race again where it all started, huh?!?

Patrick Mahoney said...

Stoked on Shana, that's what we like to hear. Looked like a good time as well...

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Congrats on the race!

And yes that man needs a shirt!

Marlene said...

You looked great out there! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Yeah for the skirt! I'm sorry it didn't fit right. You look awesome in it, really great.

I saw somewhere that SS is going to offer drawstring skirts next year. I think that's because of you!

PS- You are a small, I am a medium. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the race. I am doing the 3-day walk this year and I hope to do a run aslo for the race for the cure series.

Lindsay said...

congrats on keeping the streak alive! how awesome for your friend shana to be cancer free!!

Black Knight said...

I hope that the guy doesn't come to race in Italy I could not survive that horrible vision. Be careful because if he see that you are taking photos of him he could think that you are falling in love ......
Glad that your friend is cancer free now.
I will run the Race of the Cure in Rome on may 20.