Wednesday, March 14, 2012

10 {or 70} yrs old, Awards Season and Brooks Pure Flow.

Look at this face:
Today Maggie is 10! That is 70 in Doggie years!!!  I think she looks pretty GOOD!  She is the best!

Parental Bragging section..if you are allergic to that just skip...

It is AWARDS Season again...not the Oscars kind of Awards. The academic kind of awards.
The 2nd trimester is over.  Already.
I had both parent-teachers conferences for my sons report cards.
I have said this before but for me these report cards are in some ways a report on how good of a job I am doing with my boys.  They deserve most of the credit of course but if they were not doing well I would definitely blame myself.  They both did awesome.  I could not ask for better.  Jonathan, who is in Kindergarten, is done with the K benchmarks and started 1st grade work.  He has "mastered" all academic subjects for his grade.  He has also Mastered the art of talking too much in class.  I blame DNA for this one.  Their Canadian DNA.
William, who is in 2nd Grade, received The Top Reader Award for his Grade and the Math Champ Award.  He scored 98% on his benchmark tests.  He is also good at talking too much.  Again DNA.  What can I say.  They are my kids.  Can you guess what was on my report cards....a lot of As and talks too much.

I am very proud of my kids.  They are so lucky to have wonderful teachers. I tell them often to appreciate these ladies and all that they do for them.





Running:
So far so good this week.
I am sticking to my new plan of running 3-4 days and take a rest day.  Also running longer distances during the week. 
I have had no  more calf and foot pain since doing this.  I do struggle on rest days.  I feel more tired and a bit off..hard to explain..I am sure I am not the only one like that.

I got my new shoes last Friday: Brooks Pure Flow.  It was supposed to be rest day but I could not resist trying them so I went for a quick 3 miles.
My first impression was: "This feels very weird".  Right away I could feel it in my calves.  The way my feet were hitting the ground felt strange. I was also going much slower.  I kept looking at my watch, it did not feel that slow to me but it was.  I remember when I first tried my Ravenna I felt fast and light.  With these ones not so much.  I know I need to use them more before deciding of those will work.  Monday I went for 4 miles in those and it was better but still feeling strange.  So for now I don't know.  It is not "Love at first step" that's for sure.  I think they will be good for the shorter runs and to help with keeping a consistent midfoot strike.

I have been thinking a lot about marathon.  That is all I think about while I run now.  Could I do it.  What plan should I use.  Would my body be able to last 26.2 miles.  What about my stomach.  I have had an offer from a VERY generous friend.  The kind of offer gift I would be CRAZY to refuse. 

I think a lot about marathon.
26.2 freaking miles.



15 comments:

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

I just got a pair of pure flows, too. it took me three or four runs to really get used to them, but I LOVE them and can't imagine going back to my ghosts now. Hope they work out for you.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I just did an 8 mile run in my Pure flow this week and am so in love with them, but it did take awhile to get there. They feel so good to run in now! I say yay for 26.2 and awesome friends and great job to your boys!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Happy birthday, Maggie!!! :)

I think a lot about marathon too. And then I remember the last one. lol That puts an end to it pretty quickly.

Boston Bound Brunette said...

Happy Bithday to Maggie! I love my dogs to death and have birthday parties for them with doggie cakes! Your boys are little brains just like mom! I love how you took credit for the smart genes!! I would love to see you run a marathon!! You would be great. What's the offer that you can't pass up??

Yo Momma Runs said...

My middle child just came home with his first report card every to say Satisfactory under the Exhibits Self Control section. We were shocked! Congrats to your little guys on doing great in school!

I tried my sister-in-law's Brooks pure flows. They felt so light! Didn't run in them though. Hopefully they break in. If not they would make a great shoe for weight training.:)

You could definitely pull off the marathon. You already have a great base. Don't be crazy and refuse the offer!

Patrick Mahoney said...

We have our parent/teachers conference in the morning - 7:30 AM.

Black Knight said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!
Congrats to your children, they are very good students.
Marathon: do it!!!! (Another t-shirt from italy?)

Laura said...

I love that part of our CANADIAN DNA! Happy puppy bday!

Unknown said...

Awww, proud mama! So awesome.

Happy Birthday to your pup. Yesterday would have been my old dog's bday, too. He was a good dog.

26.2 freaking miles of awesome! Do it!!!!!!!

Erica Gorman said...

Just wanted to let you know I got my bead and bracelet and am in love! I posted about it here - http://lifeasarunningmom.blogspot.com/2012/03/thank-you-milestones-jewelry.html

Teamarcia said...

Yay for Maggie and congrats to the kids!
Like Coldplay says: The chance you get is the chance you take. DO THE MARATHON! :)

Unknown said...

Aw happy birthday Maggie!

Congrats to the kiddos…

You can totally do the marathon. you really could :)

Good luck with the sneaks and getting used to them.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Doogie!! :) I like your new blog design - great pictures!
I used Jeff Galloways marathon for beginner plan and used his walk-run method. This really helped me. It's easier to run 26x 1 milers than 26 miles. Running a marathon is at least 70% mental. You can do it!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!!!!!

Alisyn said...

I just recently got the same shoe same color to boot! I loved them, so I ran a marathon on Sunday in them. Now I am not so sure....But I won't give up on them just yet!