Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dairy Ayres 5K Race Recap

Today was a busy day for the family.
First a 5k race for me and 0.5 mile for the kids, followed by a basketball game for Will, lunch and a soccer game for Jonathan.  After all that the plan was to rest and watch my Blue Devils beat UNC....yeah....that part did not go well..... It's OK, March Madness is coming up and they will bounced back. 

The Race.
It was a small local race, first time I do this one.  I think we were about 600 runners for the 5K.  They had T-Shirt and medals for all the runners and time chip also.  The course was nice and flat as a pancake.  It was windy,  you can see in the pictures...the finish line structure was knocked down by the wind!! 

 I started way too fast....I looked at my Garmin and saw 6:xx....not good....


I slowed down.  I did have trouble with my breathing , I don't know what was going on; probably because I went out too fast, I struggled for 90% of the race to control my breathing.
I passed by Bill and the boys at half way point so I thought this would be a double loop but it wasn't. 

 I was on my way to getting a PR.  I remember telling myself "Don't panic and don't puke!" On one of the turns the wind pretty strong made me loose my balance a little. 
Next thing I knew, the finish line was in the near distance!

 
I heard Bill yelling "Great Job!" and I looked at the clock.. 27:11....and I was just a few steps away.
My time is 27:14:08!
My old PR was 28:59, Nov 2011
2 years ago, I made my debut in the running world.  I ran my first 5K on March 6, 2010.  My time was 35:12.  Progress is good. 
I was 5th in my AG today. 
Kids Race
The boys ran the 0.50 mile kids race.  They had a blast.  I love to watch them run these races!
They did great! 



Here the Finish Line Standing

And a minute later.....Oopsy...
Luckily nobody got hurt


Big brother Will kept his dignity and came in ahead of Jonathan. He knows how to finish a race!!!!



Love this last picture!
Jonathan did great too!




Good Times!

19 comments:

Boston Bound Brunette said...

Awesome! You are grabbing those PR's left and right these days! You are getting better and it shows! I am jealous!!! :)

Terzah said...

Great job to you and the boys! It looks like it was a beautiful day to PR and place high in that AG! You rock as always!

Tricia said...

Congrats on the PR and 5th in AG!! Awesome -- and I LOVE your older son's finish line picture. Very cool.

SupermomE13 said...

Great job!! Congrats!!!

About the shoes - I ran exclusively in Ravenna's for a long time and switched to the PureFlows easily (if that helps at all). Good luck!

Emz said...

Sooooooo
Freaking
Awesome!!
All. Of. It.
Love: DPDP. Don't puke, don't duke.

Emz said...

Ok seriously.....
I did love duke losing but.......and yes I meant to type-I above. ;)
Awesome Job on the pr.
And looooooving that the boys ran!
So great!

Kate Geisen said...

HUGE PR! Congratulations!! You're getting stronger all the time. Awesome! :)

Love, love the pictures of the boys, especially that joyful finish line shot.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congrats on a new PR!!

Elle said...

Wahooooo! So happy for your PR! That is so speedy.

Love the cow - and especially the photo of you with your boys. What a fun day you all had. :)

Christy said...

Great job! That's quite a bit shaved off your old PR.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the PR!!! You did fantastic.

Love the picture of Will finishing. That's a great one!!!

Congrats again.

Darlene said...

Great race. You are officially speedy!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Is that a Nordiques' shirt????? LOVE it!!!

And congrats again on killing your old PR!

Kate Geisen said...

You know I'm all about fun and adventure, but lame or not, that doesn't extend to putting on some random wig. Patrick quote: "Well, if I get live from it I'll just shave my head". No thanks!! :)

Neon Blonde Runner said...

CONGRATS on your PR!!! You totally deserve it.

Neon Blonde Runner said...

and PS your little kids are so cute, that finishing photo is priceless!

Nelly said...

Congrats on the PR! That is awesome! 5th in age group is great too! Glad the boys had a good time too.

Crazy about the wind, looked strong!

Thanks for the comment about American Idol, I knew I could count on you to watch it, lol
Philip is indeed a great singer! It's really early on, but I'm going for Hollie, Joshua, Elise and Philip! I wanted Brielle to make it, I thought she was good!

misszippy said...

Awesome PR! You go!!! What amazing improvement you have made in a short time.

Love kids races--your guys look like they loved it.

Christine said...

Congrats!!! That is a huge PR!!! You are getting so fast!! :)