Saturday, January 28, 2012

Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K Race Report


Adam over at The Boring Runner (nothing boring about that blog) is hosting this Virtual race.  This is my second year doing it, do we get a special medal if we do 2 in a row?..Adam? Hello?

All right so the summer is here in Southern California and I am not happy about that.  I HATE it.  It has been really windy and so guess what is back with the heat and the wind? ALLERGIES!  I cannot breath and my face feels like I got beaten up. Nothing was freezing over here I can promise you that, it was more a melting situation.

I went for my 5k and this was supposed to be an easy run because tomorrow I got 10 probably windy miles on the menu and then it is taper for Surf City and I don't want to get injured between now and next Sunday.  At mile 1 something looking like Scooby Doo comes out of a back yard and scares the crap out of me.... 

He comes running in the street and cross to where I was.  I froze. I did not want him to jump on me.  This was a huge dog...like a mini horse.
I stood there waiting for his owner to come rescue me, or Batman or Superman..I mean anyone braver than me.  After a minute or so I remembered to stop my Garmin.  I know where my priorities are. Finally he went back home...and I ran backwards to make sure he would not follow me...no no that is not true, I ran forward but I did turn to look back at least 24 times.  So I need to complain to the race director about animals on the course that are not on a leash...

Time: 30:51
1st in AG who were almost assaulted by a Great Dane

thank you Adam!




14 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

That's a BIG dog! You can have that AG allll to yourself!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your AG win, hehe.

Unknown said...

OMG on my Freeze your Thorns there was a Rottweiler off his leash (with his owner) but it scared me too!

Congrats on your run! :)

Annet and Kirk said...

haha, that line at the end about talking to the race director made me laugh out loud. If I ever do a race, I'll be coming up with an AG just for me too... love this type of thinking!

Jill said...

Woohoo!!! Congratulations on your almost assaulted by a great dane AG win - woot! :)

Terzah said...

I love it (your AG win, not the dog attack)! What is it w/ dogs lately? I feel like a lot of my blog friends are having dog scares. Be careful out there, everyone!

Christine said...

Oh that's the worse. I'm a dog owner but still scared of a lose dog. Above dig looks like a mini-cow :) Good job on finishing your race!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Where's the meet-up point for SC?

KovasP said...

If you run as fast as me, you don't have to worry about dogs. :)

Lindsay said...

Lol! Congrats on the AG win ;)

giraffy said...

Nice!

Giant dogs unleashed freak me out. WHY!?

Giorgio said...

Sorry for that dog attack!
I sometimes met dogs while I am running because gardens, where they live, aren't closed. Could we run with a knife?

Congrats on finishing your race!

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nelly said...

Nice report! Crazy about the huge dog, haha

Good luck at Surf City!

It was awesome hearing Zamperini talk, you should try to see where he's scheduled to be to see if you can see him too. Hopefully he gets on Anderson Cooper!

Aussie Open final was indeed awesome! I wish I could have been around during the Connors-McEnroe-Borg days, those guys were great players. I mainly remember Sampras, Graf, Enberg, Lendl and Agassi. My favorite players are still Graf and Sampras. Tennis now is great to watch too, Nadal-Djokovic-Federer always have classic matches!

We will see how Bay to Breakers goes!