This race was at the Rose Bowl and I like to race there, it is close to home and spectators friendly, a huge + for my family.
I did not have any goals for this one. This is 2 weeks post Long Beach so I cannot say that I trained for this 10k. I have 2 10k in my training plan for the next Half Marathon (in 45 days from today) and this was one of them.
- I ran with Rebekah.
- The course is nice, a couple of hills and the rest pretty flat.
- It is close to home.
- A great cause: Saving animals
- The Expo was really good for a smaller race and an outdoor Expo.
- They had the BEST food after the race: Apples and Bananas, Many kinds of Bars: Cliff, Larabar, KIND and no limits on qty, FIJI water, juice boxes, powerade, coconut water. Even the kids got anything they wanted!
- I finished 10/133 in my AG. Bill called that the Golden Age group...charming especially since he is older than me.
- Lot's of dogs everywhere and several of them in costumes!
- LAKERS Girls were there. That is a good for my boys (see below).
|Mile 3 waving to the boys|
|Almost done here|
|Do you see my calf? I got muscles now I guess!|
THE LESS GOOD:
- I had no race plan and I left my brain at home.
- It was hot. AGAIN. Enough to get sunburned...:(
- I went out too fast...again...I even hit 7:52 pace...for me way too fast.
- That lead to me starting to panic and getting scared that what happened in Long Beach would happen again. If I had been running this thing alone I would have had freaked out for real. I am scared of having a repeat of LB and I obviously don't want that to happen.
- I got the mother of all side stitch before mile 3. It was pretty bad. I tried changing my breathing and slowing and it did not work. It was really painful going all the way in my collarbone. Had to walk to try to make it go away. Made me MAD.
- Double loop course: It has the one positive of me seeing the kids at the half but other than that I am not a huge fan of the double loop. This race had a 5k also so at the half way most of the runners were done and we kept going.
- Lots of walkers and lots of dogs. OK I knew about this and I was not upset or anything but it can be a pain to pass so many walkers. We ended up passing A LOT of the 5K people even!
- Mario Lopez, who was announced as the host, was a NO SHOW. Booooo. Dot Jones from GLEE replaced him. She was pretty nice actually!
I don't get it.
It was not THAT hot.
Wear a freaking shirt.
He is at all the local races.
I have never seen him with a top on.