Sunday, April 22, 2012

Redlands 10K Race

I ran a 10k race this morning.
I think for the first time since I started running I should have sat this one out.
I am sick.
I have a really bad cold; congestion, coughing, sore throat, all the good stuff.
I went for 3 miles yesterday and I had a hard time to breath.
I slept really bad last night.
So....it was not good today.
I did not race.  I just ran. I also had to walk some of it. No PR and no PW.
It sucked but it's OK.
It happens.  I have been pretty lucky to not be sick for most of my races.  I had some where the allergies were acting up but today was the worst I have felt.


This was a nice race.  Really well organized
I have zero complain.
They had plenty of porta potty.
They started right on time.
They had lots of volunteers on the course.  Everyone was really nice.
Plenty of water AND cups.
No medal but for a 10K I don't expect medals.
They had a little Expo at the Finish line with some vendors and also free massages. I went to get one and I got the one gal who looked like she was having the worst day of her life.  She was terrible also.   It was free so no big deal, it is pretty nice that they offered this.

It was not as hot as I thought it would be but it was still warm and sunny.
I carried my new handheld bottle to test it during a race.  I will need to get used to it.  It felt a little heavy at times.  I usually change hands when I carry a regular water bottle and with this it is not as easy to change hand.  Here at mile 2 right before going uphill for an eternity!


Thumbs up only for the kids...I was not close to feeling thumbs up



The course  had one long hill in the middle.  I think I am an expert at signing up for races that have hills.  It was not as bad as the one in Hollywood but it was a tough one.  Good thing we had a downhill after that :)

Here getting to the finish.  I was happy to be done.



I got another 10k in a couple weeks.  I am hoping to get rid of this cold by then and also for NO HILLS.  I need a hills break!



20 comments:

beach mama said...

You should go to the doc if your cold lasts much longer. I thought I had a cold/allergies and it ended up being a horrible sinus infection. I went almost 2 weeks feeling miserable before i went.
Hope you feel better!!

Boston Bound Brunette said...

You're amazing! Sorry that you have not been feeling well. Maybe a couple days of rest would do you some good. Take care.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Sorry you're not feeling well... you look pretty good in all your pics for being sick! :) I hope you get better soon and good luck in your next 10k! :)

Unknown said...

You look good in your pictures! At least you got to test out the handheld. We need to bad races to remind us how great the good ones really are. Feel better!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Hope you feel better soon! Yay for a free race, I would have done it too. You do look good in all the pictures, which is never an easy feat. :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on running and not racing. Get well soon!

Yo Momma Runs said...

You are the happiest looking sick person ever in those pictures!:) At least you could smile for the camera even through the crappy feeling. Hope you feel better soon!

Linda W. said...

Good job on toughing it out. Yes, it's a bummer trying to run a race when you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!

XLMIC said...

Woman, you are a racing MACHINE! And sick, too. I am so sorry to hear that part :( I really hope you are all better soon :)

L.B. said...

Congrats on finishing! Every race is a learning experience, and I'm sure you took something valuable away from Sunday. The course is hilly and it was warm out so the conditions were always going to be challenging. Sounds like you handled everything well.

By the way, the more I look at your races, the more I think you should join the Lopers. It's pretty much a place for all us running-addicted nuts to get together and run every Sunday. We've got pace groups, from 8-min per mile all the way through 15-min. Our next season starts in August. Anyway, it's a great way to train for races and, for me, was the only way I was able to run a marathon. And we have some Canadians in there too, haha

Unknown said...

great job, I hate running sicks so way to get out there anyways.

misszippy said...

Racing while sick doesn't sound too fun, but you are a trooper! Way to go. Now rest up and get better!!

CIM????

Terzah said...

I think you will be over your cold before your next race--and if not, take a breather for sure!

I still say you take great race pictures! :^)

Elle said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you recover soon.

My brother and his family live in Yucaipa, just over the hill.

Darlene said...

You are tough. Good for you. If you are like me, if you stayed home, you'd be beating yourself up for not running.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Sick but smiling...good job!

I tried a handheld bottle once and it drove me crazy. I like the idea of it, but it just seemed to throw my balance.

Christina said...

Congrats on finishing ... and I see the hand held bottle in action there. How do you feel about it? Hope you feel better soon!

Jill said...

I'm glad to hear you got an answer to your illness, hope the thyroid meds help things!!

btw, you're a HUGE heel striker. Could be cause for some of the PF issues when they occur. :/

Black Knight said...

I like what you said: "I did not race. I just ran". This must be my spirit too.
You are tough, you are a runner.
Well done! Brava.
A lot of beautiful pictures.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats